SOS Feeding Approach
SOS FEEDING APPROACH
Sensational Kids is Offering the SOS Feeding Approach
Work with our trained and certified therapist, Liezl Smith, who has undergone extensive training in the SOS Feeding Approach and can now assist parents, teachers and families in mealtimes with their child.
SOS stands for Sequential Oral Sensory Feeding Program which involves a developmental and sensory approach to integrating foods into a child’s diet
- struggles at mealtime in your home
- has a food range of less than 20 foods
- has poor weight gain or weight loss
- gags and/or coughs excessively during meals
- has oral motor issues or shows signs of tactile defensiveness
- is transitioning from tune to oral feeding
- has a low volume of oral intake
- has a limited variety or tastes and textures in their diet
- has difficulties transitioning to advanced textures
- refuses foods
- has maladaptive behaviors surrounding eating
- cries or arches at most meals
- has a history of eating and breathing coordination problems
- has parents who struggle at mealtimes.
This approach incorporates Sensory, Motor, Oral, Behavioral/Learning, Medical, Nutritional factors and approaches
Multiple Disciplines (Parent / OT / SLP / Pediatrician / Dietician) collaborate to assess your child’s needs. Then coordinating therapist incorporates findings to individualize mealtime therapy sessions.
Parents actively participate to continue both at home and in clinical settings after thorough education from therapist.
Involves a Systematic Desensitization approach that gradually takes a child through a developmental food hierarchy.
This method can transform child’s behaviors and attitudes towards food in general. Thus assisting in broadening the realm of sensory exploration, feel less stressed and anxious at mealtimes, and improve overall food intake.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO SCHEDULE AN INITIAL VISIT,
CONTACT OUR OFFICEAT (856) 810 – 5777